Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

In keeping with my tradition of blogging about once every other month, I thought it would be appropriate to blog on Father's Day. Actually, my youngest daughter told me to. She also told me that I need to say something about having wonderful, brilliant amazing children. So, I would like to say that, "I have wonderful, brilliant amazing children." Now she just said that I need to put some enthusiasm into it so - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - there!

Actually, I do have three very special girls, whom I love dearly.

I was thinking about being a father today. I think most of us who are parents are at times racked with guilt and feelings of inadequacy. We try, but we wonder if we have suceeded, or just messed up a perfectly good lives. I suppose that the best we can do, is the best that we can do. I was thinking of my own dad this morning and the most important thing that he gave me was love. I knew, that I knew, that I knew that I was loved and that was all that mattered. That and the first guitar he bought me! I'm not even sure he realized that his love was so evidenced and felt. Saying, "I love you," was not a part of his vocabulary. His generation just didn't go there. But, I knew it and it gave me all the confidence that I needed to step out into this world.

My hope is that my girls know that they are loved. And while I haven't bought any of them a guitar, I hope they feel that they have been given much. Anyway, happy Father's Day to all you dads.

1 comment:

Jeff Baker said...

your girls are pretty cool. I like the oldest one best, but that's just me.